Cisco IP telephony leverages converged networks to dramatically reduce TCO and improve ROI. However, its critical importance to business communications and deep integration with enterprise IP networks make it susceptible to attacks that legacy telecom systems did not face. Now, there’s a comprehensive guide to securing the IP telephony components that ride atop data network infrastructures–and thereby providing IP telephony services that are safer, more resilient, more stable, and more scalable.
Securing Cisco IP Telephony Networks provides comprehensive, up-to-date details for securing Cisco IP telephony equipment, underlying infrastructure, and telephony applications. Drawing on ten years of experience, senior network consultant Akhil Behl offers a complete security framework for use in any Cisco IP telephony environment. You’ll find best practices and detailed configuration examples for securing Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM), Cisco Unity/Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Presence, Cisco Voice Gateways, Cisco IP Telephony Endpoints, and many other Cisco IP Telephony applications. The book showcases easy-to-follow Cisco IP Telephony applications and network security-centric examples in every chapter.
This guide is invaluable to every technical professional and IT decision-maker concerned with securing Cisco IP telephony networks, including network engineers, administrators, architects, managers, security analysts, IT directors, and consultants.
- Recognize vulnerabilities caused by IP network integration, as well as VoIP’s unique security requirements
- Discover how hackers target IP telephony networks and proactively protect against each facet of their attacks
- Implement a flexible, proven methodology for end-to-end Cisco IP Telephony security
- Use a layered (defense-in-depth) approach that builds on underlying network security design
- Secure CUCM, Cisco Unity/Unity Connection, CUPS, CUCM Express, and Cisco Unity Express platforms against internal and external threats
- Establish physical security, Layer 2 and Layer 3 security, and Cisco ASA-based perimeter security
- Complete coverage of Cisco IP Telephony encryption and authentication fundamentals
- Configure Cisco IOS Voice Gateways to help prevent toll fraud and deter attacks
- Secure Cisco Voice Gatekeepers and Cisco Unified Border Element (CUBE) against rogue endpoints and other attack vectors
- Secure Cisco IP telephony endpoints–Cisco Unified IP Phones (wired, wireless, and soft phone) from malicious insiders and external threats
This IP communications book is part of the Cisco Press® Networking Technology Series. IP communications titles from Cisco Press help networking professionals understand voice and IP telephony technologies, plan and design converged networks, and implement network solutions for increased productivity.