Enjoy Leash Training Your Dog – Pick the Method That Suits You Best
This straight-talking how-to guide for dog owners explains four different ways of leash training a dog, so the training process is easy and the walks enjoyable. Sample training programs are also provided.
It is written for owners of large, medium, small-sized and tiny dogs, who want to teach them the dog-friendly way of walking without pulling on the leash.
You will learn how to:
• Identify why your dog pulls on the leash or refuses to walk;
• Choose the right training gear;
• Consider weather and environmental conditions, his age and health when walking him;
• Create and vary rewards to enhance the learning process;
• Communicate clearly through the correct use of cues and markers;
• Leash train through targeting your hand or target stick;
• Leash train through guiding your dog with food;
• Leash train through playing the “hot and cold” game;
• Leash train by trial and error;
• Use a release cue to avoid confusing your dog and slowing down the training process.
This book also teaches you to:
Train indoors and then transition to outdoors;
Manage training in the face of distractions;
Avoid the pitfalls of punishment.
Teaching your dog to walk by your side without pulling on the leash can be challenging, if you’re unaware of the many ways to do it. Just reading the sections on the different leash training methods and safety tips when walking him will make reading this book worthwhile!